2015.09.30 - 2015.09.30
HoW Session - Community & Participatory Politics
In collaboration with the Polish Institute, this roundtable conversation will focusing on various notions of community, the dissolution of an individual’s agenda in the collective act, and ideas of democracy, political identity, power relations, and participatory decision-making.
House of Words (HoW) refers to “la Casa de la Palabra” – a traditional meeting place common in Equatorial Guinea and some African societies providing a hub for oral history, storytelling, performance, and ritual. GIBCA 2015’s HoW functions as a social platform for multidisciplinary discussion, exchange, and collaboration throughout the biennial and beyond. Its construction, led by Santiago Cirugeda, has consisted of a collective process engaging individuals and local communities. HoW has been built with recycled materials and is temporarily attached to the Röda Sten Konsthall.
Within it, Loulou Cherinet has created a relational community project hosting a series of filmed roundtable storytelling sessions examining the Swedish notion of “utanförskap” (“outsider-ship”). This is complemented by a public program curated in collaboration with Elvira Dyangani Ose addressing how participatory practices may create an activated social space – a place where “publicness” is framed through a powerful sense of “togetherness.” HoW envisions gathering people together to create an assembly.
All of the curated round-table conversations will be held in English.
- Karolina Bregula - Multimedia Artist
- Dr. Angela Muvumba Sellström - Researcher, the Nordic Africa Institute
- Masoud Vatankhah - Poet, Author and Activist
- Jasmine Lyman - Owner & Founder of Playcentric Industries, Story architects and Think&DO Collaboratory, & Epic Unidragon Gallery
- Lasse Fryk - Senior Lecturer - Global Studies, Göteborg University
- Sven Bartilsson - Leader and Coordinator of Coompanion Göteborgsregionen
- Phoebe Boswell - GIBCA 2015 Artist
- Malin Windehammar - Staden vi vill ha
This session will be hosted by Aukje Leoutre Ravn - Artistic Curator GIBCA 2015
The roundtable sessions will take place in House of Words and are open and free to the public.
Please note that the maximum capacity of HoW is 60 people. First come, first served.