House of Words (HoW) refers to “la Casa de la Palabra” – a traditional meeting place common in Equatorial Guinea and some African societies providing a hub for oral history, storytelling, performance, and ritual. GIBCA 2015’s HoW functions as a social platform for multidisciplinary discussion, exchange, and collaboration throughout the biennial and beyond. Its construction, led by Santiago Cirugeda, has consisted of a collective process engaging individuals and local communities. HoW has been built with recycled materials and is temporarily attached to the Röda Sten Konsthall.
HoW is now open to everyone and is activated by a program of filmed roundtable sessions conceived by artist Loulou Cherinet. Each session is a collective experience: there are Storytellers, a Hostess/Host, a Camera, and sometimes an Audience. The Storytellers are specially invited guests who share ideas about a specific experience or topic over a meal. The Hostess or Host takes care of them, the Camera circulates slowly in the middle of the table, and the Audience joins in the conversation.
The following programs, events and workshops are open to the public and address a variety of topics relating to the biennial’s conceptual framework.
House of Words Program:
13/9 HoW Session: Post-colony, 16-18:00
- Sara Jordenö - GIBCA artist
- Lawal R. Ayoolaand - Scandinavian Coordinator for APC - All Progressives Congress
- Andrea Phillips - Akadamin Valand
- Alfeus Mvula - Artist exhibiting in Etosha Exhibition, Vänersborgs konsthall
- Maxine Chion - Clandestino Institute
- Elvira Dyangani Ose - Curator GIBCA2015
The second public HoW-session will be on the topic of "Participatory Architecture", and will discuss notions of the public space, urbanism, shared spaces and the participatory ethos behind structures like HoW itself.
- Santiago Cirugeda - HoW architect, Recetas Urbanas
- Jessica Segerlund - Process manager Älvstranden - Frihamnen
- Henric Benesch - Architect, phD, Critical Heritage Studies, Gothenburg University
- Linda Shamma Östrand - Artist, guest teacher Critical Heritage Studies, Gothenburg University
- Emilio Da Cruz Brandao - Chalmers, Design for Sustainable Development
Elvira Dyangani Ose - Curator GIBCA 2015
Host: Aukje Lepoutre Ravn - Artistic Director GIBCA 2015
In collaboration with the Polish Institute, this roundtable conversation will focusing on various notions of community, the dissolution of an individual’s agenda in the collective act, and ideas of democracy, political identity, power relations, and participatory decision-making.
- Karolina Bregula - Multimedia Artist
- Dr. Angela Muvumba Sellström - Researcher, the Nordic Africa Institute
- Masoud Vatankhah - Poet, Author and Activist
- Jasmine Lyman - Owner & Founder of Playcentric Industries, Story architects and Think&DO Collaboratory, & Epic Unidragon Gallery
- Lasse Fryk - Senior Lecturer - Global Studies, Göteborg University
- Sven Bartilsson - Leader and Coordinator of Coompanion Göteborgsregionen
- Phoebe Boswell - GIBCA 2015 Artist
- Malin Windehammar - Staden vi vill ha
In collaboration with the Swedish History Museum, this roundtable conversation will analyze the institutional framework of art institutions and question the inherent hierarchies of such framework.
- Erik Berggen - The Museum of Forgetting
- Sebastian De la Cour - GIBCA Artist, The Museum of Nothing
- Guttorm Guttormsgaard - Norwegian Artist
- Nicholas Maleve - Scandinavian Institute for Computational Vandalism (SICV)
- Mariá Jansen - Senior Curator and Museum Director, Historiska Museet
- Britta Söderqvist - Head of Content & Learning, Världskulturmuseet, Göteborg
Hans Ruin - Professor of Philosophy, Södertörn University, & Director of Research Program: Time, Memory and Representation
Host: Aukje Lepoutre Ravn - Konstnärlig ledare GIBCA 2015
In collaboration with Goldsmiths, University of London and Valand Academy, Gothenburg, this session will Interrogate the politicization of identity and celebration of non-conformist ambiguity.
- Gavin Butt - artist and art historian, professor Goldsmiths, University of London, UK
- Dr. Henriette Gunkel - Lecturer in Visual Cultures, Goldsmiths, University of London
- Tanya Charif - artist, aktivist, founder of G.I.A Gays In Angered
- Hannah Heilmann - artist and lecturer, Royal Academy of Art, Copenhagen
- Mary Coble - artist and professor, Valand Academy
- Anna Linder - artist, curator and researcher, Valand Academy
Aukje Lepoutre Ravn - Artistic Director of GIBCA 2015 & Curator of Röda Sten Konsthall will be the host for the evening.